Africa Polling Institute (API) is an independent, non-profit and non-partisan opinion research think-tank, which conducts opinion polls, surveys, social research and evaluation studies at the intersection of democracy, governance, economic conditions and public life; in order to support better public policy, practice and advocacy in Africa. API was established on the belief that citizens’ participation in democratic governance can deepen the continent’s democratic experience, strengthen public institutions and promote social inclusion and cohesion. API is independent of governments, political parties, commercial interests, trade unions and other interest groups.
The vision of the Institute is to become a leading opinion research think-tank in Africa, championing “good governance” by promoting access to credible data and evidence to support decision makers, policy makers and advocates. The mission of the Institute is to conduct and dissemination of credible Africa-led and Africa-owned opinion polls, surveys, social research and evaluation studies; to inform better decisions, public policy, practice and advocacy.
API is currently seeking to recruit an experienced social and opinion research professional cum academic to fill the position of Deputy Executive Director (DED), in order to oversee key operational, strategic and research functions of the Institute. The ideal candidate will work closely with the Executive Director, and must have an in-depth knowledge of opinion research, social research, public opinion polling and surveys, monitoring & evaluation, social research methodology and advocacy.
• The candidate will deputize for the Executive Director and provide overall leadership and management of the Institute.
• Lead and supervise the Institute’s think-tank activities, including end-to-end research, advocacy & capacity building.
• Lead donor engagement, grant management, policy advocacy, stakeholder interface on behalf of the Institute.
• Manage and maintain the Institute’s policy on research standards, ethics and other policies of the Institute.
• Responsible for leading the Institute’s development of research proposals, concept notes and grant and BD strategies.
• Innovate, develop and /or utilize existing research and evaluation tools, instruments and protocols for field research.
• Maintain an overall knowledge of the Institute’s research activities, processes and methodologies and be able to represent these at meetings, presentations and engagements with existing and prospective clients, donors, partners and stakeholders.
• Engage in strategic media and communications activities on behalf of the Institute, serving as resource person.
• Must be a PhD holder in Social Sciences (Sociology, Economics, Management, Political Science) or other related disciplines.
• Should have at least 15+ years cumulative experience working in similar/related position, with 5 years Post PhD experience.
• Must possess profound knowledge of both quantitative and qualitative research methodologies in social & opinion research
• Exceptional leadership, organizational, field research management and project management skills.
• Exceptional oral and written communication abilities, as well as media engagement and public speaking skills.
• NGN8,168,957 per annum (Starting salary, inclusive of taxes)
Submission List and Timeline
Interested Applicants must submit the following documents along with their Curriculum Vitae (not more than 10 pages):
• Scanned copies of credentials
• A Motivation letter showing suitability for the position.
• List of three references who can attest to your work within the industry.
• List of social research, monitoring and evaluation, opinion polling, and survey research projects handled.
All applications should be submitted by 8th January 2021 via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “DED Vacancy” as subject line.